When I got my lap-band, baking slowed down a bit. A gastric surgery will do that to you. Bready, airy, or ‘soft’ foods just take up space in my little pouch and tend to swell very uncomfortably. But, my family missed the sweets that used to come out of the oven and the fighting that took place over mixing bowl. Well, I actually missed the fact that I used to smell like vanilla all the time. It permeated my skin all the time no matter when I took a shower. The added lemon from some of the recipes made it even better.
I finally caved and started making sweets again. My tried and true 7Up Cake recipe is always a hit not matter where I take it. But, one thing did change about sweets in the house, I always have first dibs on the mixing bowl!
3 cups sugar
1 ½ cups butter (room temp.)
3 cups flour
¾ cup 7up
2 tablespoons lemon extract
1. Preheat oven at 350°. Grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan.
2. Combine 1 cup sugar and 1 stick of butter until creamy; repeat until all sugar and butter are used.
3. Beat in flour alternately with 7up, beginning and ending with flour.
4. Beat in the eggs one at a time until smooth.
5. Beat in lemon extract until smooth.
6. Pour into prepared bundt pan.
7. Bake for 72 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Turn out of pan and place on a rack to cool.
8. You can serve the cake plain or drizzle orange glaze on top. Once glazed sit it in the refrigerator to chill.
2 cups powdered sugar
1. Combine powdered sugar with enough orange juice until you have the consistency you like to pour over cake.