Here is a great recipe I make every year for my father’s birthday. There are only a few sweets he will deal with and this is one of the two I know of. If he can’t have it with coffee he usually doesn’t want it.
Carrot Pound Cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. salt
2 cups sugar
1 ¼ cups vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups grated shredded carrots
1 cup carrot baby food
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1 cup raisins
8-oz cream cheese, softened
½ cup butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Milk or orange juice as needed
1. Take out all ingredients and allow them to come to room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 350° with the rack in the middle. Grease and flour a bundt pan.
3. Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl.
4. In a large bowl, combine sugar with the oil, beat on low. Add the eggs separately, mixing well after each addition. Add baby food and vanilla.
5. Stir the flour in 2 batches, mixing only until it disappears into batter. Fold in the carrots, nuts, and raisins gently until everything is combined.
6. Bake for 50-55 minutes, until the cake is golden brown, springs back when touched lightly in the center, and has begun to pull away for the sides of the pans.
7. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes, and then turn the cake out onto rack to cool completely. Note: You may have to run a butter knife around the pan.
8. Combine the cream cheese and butter in a large bowl and beat well at medium speed until soft and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and the vanilla, and beat into a smooth frosting. If stiff add small amounts of milk or orange juice until you reach the consistency you desire.